I guess some of you are wondering what is going on with bareftp these days, and the truth is – not much. I started out on a python port about a year ago, and was about 70-80% done when other (paid) projects distracted me. I am still busy with other projects and probably will be for a few months. This doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten all about bareftp, and I still want to get the rewrite done. So, for those thinking bareftp is dead, this is a little update on what is (not) happening.
The current state of the new bareftp is:
- Pure python
- Works with python 2 and 3
- GTK+ 3 / pygobject GUI mostly done
- Basic FTP connections and transfers working fine
- Bookmarks compatible with the old format
The missing parts:
- SSL/TLS connections (should be fairly simple)
- SSH/SFTP (will use paramiko, and hope for python 3 support soon)
- Some GUI improvements and cleanups
So.. when? I honestly don’t know. It all depends on available time and motivation, but I hope to get going on this again soon.
For anyone interested, the source can be found at https://github.com/chreide/bareftp
Any kind of help are appreciated!